Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why Are Urban Book Stores Dysfunctional?

Is it me, or is the Black book business very dysfunctional? I am looking for answers to these tough questions, because, I am so tired of unprofessional people that do not have telephone etiquette, do not possess any communication/business skills, do not have an up-to-the-minute inventory system, no knowledge of the authors that they carry, and their checks don't cash. So, I ask the following questions:

(1) How can I call book stores that have ordered from me directly on more than one occasion and they have absolutely no clue who I am?

(2) Am I the only one that receives E-mail blasts from book stores that promote the same authors in every blast, while the store has possession of a case of your books that they bought?

(3) Can anyone explain why book stores do not give new authors a real fighting chance, but pump the same ol' authors that are going to sell no matter what?

(4) Is it me, or is it absurd for a book store to accept a book on consignment and never shelf the book, just keep it boxed up?

(5) Why is it hard for a book store to pay an invoice when it's a mere $30 (i.e. $6 for 5 books)?

(6) Why is it that book stores acquire more product than they can move and then mail an author a bad check?

(7) I have been a victim to all of these instances and it's about time that book stores are held accountable for their foolishness.

Please do not be afraid to weigh in and share this blog entry. And please become a member. I am gearing up to start a real dialogue about this business.

Visit My Web Site

6 comments:

  1. Wow where do I start -- the cosignment deals with small stores, and you can't get your check. hmmm. been there before. I hope we all think of solutions to some of these problems. I definitely know you aren't the only one dealing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate that stores only promote the same authors although they have others on the shelf. The consignment issue scares me because it looks like I'm signing myself up for robbery. I think that so far my experience with Philadelphia bookstores has been a good one. However, a new author cannot afford to constantly put books on consignment when they are relying on the money to further invest. I am just now beginning to branch out to other states and I don't like the idea of not being able to check up on my consignment sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain, bro

    This is why I rarely deal with book stores...I throw MY OWN signings

    Cheerio!

    Nah'Sun the Great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE HAD SOME LOVE FROM THE PEOPLE I WOULD LOOOOOOOOOVE TO SHOW LOVE (I CAN COUNT THEM ON ONE HAND AND THEY INCLUDE STREET VENDORS) I HAVEN'T BEEN TO PRINT SINCE I FOUND OUT HOW TO RAM THESE KINDLE BOOKS DOWN THEIR THROAT. I LOVE WIN/WIN BUT OUR GENRE HAS BEEN TOUGH MONEY FOR ME ON THE PAPERBACK SIDE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother great post, unfortunately much of what your asking is connected to where we are as a people in connection with formal education. You speak often of the time and energy you spend researching your craft of writing and doing business, how much do you think is being done by our brothers and sisters? We don't see it being down in schools or in other parts of our communities.
    I feel the answer to many of your questions are in our interactions from post like this. We also have to make sure as authors we don't give in to the so called norms and finally many of us have to completely refuse to do business with folks who are attempting to treat us less than professional.

    I would like to see us continue to create the most professional books possible and support the book stores who are doing right by us as authors. Something has to change.

    Great post and I pray authors and store owners read and think of things which can be done. I refuse to do any business with AA stores who have a history of negativity and unprofessional behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have been a fly on the wall last week as I tried to collect only $30.00. I was in disbelief as I watched the cash register ring up sales....SMH

    ReplyDelete