Wednesday, May 23, 2012

BE THE BEST YOU CAN AS AN INDIE AUTHOR

This is a reality. 




Just because 200 FB friends click that they will be attending your event doesn't mean they are coming. You'll have about half the people joining the event that live on the opposite coast and more people that join the event just because they like you or they click to join anything. In 2010 during my first and only release party not one FB person was there despite the overwhelming ppl that not only joined the event but they also personally told me they planned to come. It's been said that this is dishonest and deceitful. Ergo, if you're a person that just likes and joins events just to do it, do your favorite author a favor, and don't do it.

The same holds true for book sales. When in the process of writing a book, you'll have so many ppl telling you that they can't wait for the book to release, but they fade as soon as you post that the book is available. 

Don't be a casualty to FB. FB is a networking site and not a online retailer and that is how I treat it. You may believe different and that is Ok. I am reporting it as I see it. 

People ask me why don't I promote often on FB, and it's simple, FB has NEVER really helped my bottom line directly. I have always had to meet ppl on FB and then take the next step to garner sales from that connection. I do not just sit behind my computer and play FB posting/spamming games all day. The half hour spent posting ads in groups could have been time calling two stores and selling 10 books to each store. I work to be visible. 

I support as many authors as I can. I attend many events and parties. I stay visible amongst my peers. I cold call stores to get sales using leads from indiebound.org. I maintain a PROFESSIONAL web site. I am armed with a professional media kit and press kit for each book. My books are available in all media outlets. 

Please don't be a casualty of FB. There has been a title coined for this and it's, FACEBOOK AUTHOR. Don't be one of them, and sadly it's very obvious to others and the higher ranking authors won't reach back to pull you up if it's not obvious that you're doing it on your own. It's like the sibling with no job. Are you going to buy them cigarettes and a Pepsi everyday and pay their rent when they're not even looking for a job? No. It's the same here in this industry.

Good luck and remember that google is your best friend. I promise you'd have to work very hard to find a topic that has not previously been researched online. And do not get discouraged if you find store info that is outdated. Simply, record the new info and review the schedule on your favorite author's website, as I am sure they list the stores they'll be at, and you can record that information too. You can also check out their site to find the key pages that you need on your site so that it's professional.

Thanks for your time.

Rahiem Brooks
Visit my web site for new books and my backlist is available for $5.99 each.


Please comment and follow this blog.

11 comments:

  1. Great, great post! I agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Post and I am always learning something from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You gave an interesting perspective on the literary industry. It was enlightening. Thats why I follow you on facebook. I always walk away with something positive. Guess what? A little wiser too. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Jewel ..keep dropping them! O and where is my OSCAR????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is so true. FB and Twitter will do nothing. You gotta promote yourself. Do research and get yourself out where people are. It's hard but...I'm praying hard work pays off.

    ReplyDelete