Saturday, April 21, 2012

Why would an author do a book signing?


For me to order 10 copies of DIE LATER it costs $50.09 to include shipping and taxes. If I go to a signing in Philadelphia (my hometown) and I sell each book for $10 and split with the store 50/50, I earn $50, which puts me in the hole $-0.9. Add in $8 for a roundtrip downtown on the local train and food/drinks for the day $10, I am in the whole $-18.09. Now, suppose I go to NYC for this signing with the same number of books. I paid $20 roundtrip on Greyhound, I spend $10 to eat, and local train fare $10. I am now in the hole $-40.09.

If, I sell the books for $15 and the split is 50/50, I get $75, so I make $6.91 in Philadelphia. But if I travel to NYC, I am in the hole $-15.09.

There is something seriously wrong with this picture. I am doing a business plan for MURDER IN GERMANTOWN, and book signings are becoming very low on the list of priorities. I mean at this rate, why not sell an E-book for $0.99 in Kindle store. At least you'll make $0.35. There has to be some sort of standard or oversight committee set up to fight for the rights of authors. Book stores and vendors, should not make more money than an author. In my opine anyway. What say you?

For more information about Rahiem Brooks, read my bio at http://www.rahiembrooks.com.


9 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I have traveled 6+ hours by car for book signings in Atlanta and down to Orlando. Just the cost of gas or transportation is crazy. Then I always brought gifts for the staff as well. You are right, the author loses.

    One thing I enjoyed doing was I got with a local bookstore in my area and they became (MY) place for book signings. I could do one there any time I wanted. Even if I just happened by. All the surrounding towns had people that frequented that one book store. I called it my base bookstore. The store would have promotions and other special events and I could get involved in all of them and sell my books. I suggest getting very friendly with one local book store and maybe give this idea a shot.

    Also an author can schedule two book signings in one day for the same area. (I've done that too). All in all it can be a grueling way to sell books.

    Awesome topic Rahiem, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Why does a bookstore get more money or if someone sell them for you, think they should get half? I'm still stomped on it. I did two book signings and haven't done another one yet, because it's not fair. I'm still lost on it.
    Elois Thames

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the ratio is different depending on if you are a independent author vs a major publishing house author. Like 60/40 or 70/30. I also believe that book signings are a thing of the pass with ebooks and social media I can speak to the author on facebook and get more one on one time with the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree! As an author, those numbers scared the shy outta me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just broke that down real good. I haven't done a book signing as of yet. I've been putting together the numbers and what you just broke down does not loon good at all. We authors are in a business just as any other business owner. Are craft is just not a hobby (for some), and (for some) to discount our work constantly is not an option. No on wants to take a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not an author but I do understand profit n loss! What happen to 10/20%?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm perplexed by the ratio also since the book stores do not have to purchase the books. I even had one ask me for a 60/40 split. I'm looking into avenues to advertise my ebooks as at least there is a profit margin. Will still do books signings to meet the fans and potiential new customers but sell less books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree. I've done several book signings. Me being from Mississippi, I've traveled to Maryland, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and a few other places. I lost money with gas and splitting with the stores. Some wanted to do consignments...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree but you also have a chance to sell your backlist. I enjoy meeting the authors and I know it costs to be the boss.

    ReplyDelete